When most people think of childproofing their home, their minds jump to childproof sockets. However, childproof outlets are only the beginning to childproofing a home.
Titan Electrical wants to remind you of the many ways to childproof your home:
In the kitchen:
- Install latches on all cabinet doors so your child won’t be able to get to dangerous household products
- Move potentially dangerous chemicals/products like medicine out of their reach. We recommend putting these things on the top shelf.
- When using the stove, use the back burners and turn the pot handles away from the edge of the counter.
- Since there are lots of risks in this room, it is even a good idea to keep it gated to reduce the risk of your little one hurting themselves.
In your bathrooms:
- Install latches on all of your cabinets.
- Install toilet locks to keep your toilet closed.
- Unplug hair dryers and curling irons. Also when using these, keep them away from the edge of the counter where a child can grab them.
- Don’t forget to cover your electrical sockets as well!
In the play area:
- Make sure that toys smaller than 2.5cm are kept out of reach until the child is old enough. These small toys are a choking hazard.
- Keep porcelain objects (like the classic piggy bank) out of reach. A child could grab it and it could break, thus risking getting cut.
Other places in the house:
- Install baby gates at the top and bottom of your stairs.
- Put corner and edge bumpers on your furniture so your little one doesn’t bump his or her head when they are learning to walk.
- Prevent furniture from tipping over by securing them to the wall or ground. Some bookshelves and TV stands are now sold with brackets and anchors to prevent this.
- Make sure that candles and matches are out of reach of your child. Don’t leave an unsupervised child around a lit candle.
- Cover your fireplace. Children could fall and hurt themselves on the fireplace.
Don’t forget to childproof your home. You can never start too early or be too safe. If you ever need more information about childproofing your outlets, Titan Electrical can help!